Learning to read:
At Hazel Slade Primary School we learn to read following the Ruth Miskin “Read Write Inc” program, which we call ‘Fred Time’. The children learn to read in groups according to their ability.
The programs teach children to:
- Blend sounds in order to read words.
- Split words up in their sounds in order to spell words.
- Read sight words – these are words we cannot blend.
- Read simple stories as early as possible.
- Understand what they have read.
- Write about what they have read.
Sessions are up to an hour in length depending on the age of the children, and sessions take place daily.
Children learn quickly in a positive environment and adults bring energy and enthusiasm to the lessons bringing learning to life
Learn how you can support your child at home by visiting the Oxford Owl website.