PE and Sport play a very important part in the life of Hazel Slade Community Primary School and at least two, hour sessions per week, are dedicated to physical activity in the curriculum. We believe that physical education and sport contribute to the holistic development of young people and through participation in sport and physical education, young people learn more about key values such as teamwork, fair play and respect for themselves and others.
There is significant evidence to show the positive effects of sport and exercise on children’s physical health, growth and development. Furthermore, sport also provides a healthy environment for young people to learn how to deal with competition and how to cope with both winning and losing.
July 2017 for update
We are looking forward to working with PE advisers from Entrust in 2017-18. We have secured Matched Funding which will enable us to provide quality training for teachers in all aspects of PE. We have a new partnership with Progressive Sports who will be running an extended programme of After School clubs for us. We are also delighted to be able to continue to offer Forest School Sessions to pupils. In 2017 we achieved the School Games Bronze Award.
A new subject leader for PE will be in place from September 2017.
Sports Premium Overview
In April 2013, the Government announced new funding (Sport Premium) for physical education (PE) and sport to improve the quality and breadth of PE and sport provision at School, for two years.
We at Hazel Slade have used the Sport Premium to improve the quality of PE
and Sport provision in the following ways:
- employing an specialist PE Coach to work alongside teachers in lessons throughout the week to increase their subject knowledge and confidence in PE
- providing cover staff to release teachers for professional development in PE and sport
- procuring quality-assured professional training for staff to raise their confidence and competence in teaching PE and sport through the Youth Sports Trust Training/CPD
- providing a sport coach to run competitions, and to increase pupils’ participation in school games competitions thus achieving the Sainsbury’s School Games Mark – SILVER (2014 -2015)
- quality assuring the work of Sport coaches and instructors employed to coach PE & after-school sports clubs
- buying into the Youth Sport Trust to develop local initiatives in Staffordshire and within the collaborative schools.
- using the funding to support sport tournaments, festivals and competitions for pupils of all ages
- providing places for pupils in after-school sport clubs; tag rugby, football, multi sports, gymnastics, Maypole dancing, drama and movement and development of holiday courses
- supporting midday supervisors to introduce playground games at breaks and lunchtimes
- forging links with PE teachers to help primary staff improve their PE and sports provision
- establishing partnerships with local community sports clubs – local football club (Hednesford), Chase Golf Club.
- House system to further develop exciting half-termly, inter-house sports competitions for pupils of all ages
- subsidising transport, pool hire and swimming instruction to allow all pupils from Y3-6 to have swimming lessons all year
- subsidising outdoor and adventurous activities on trips – Y3 – 6 Standon Bowers / Chasewater
- developing young sports leaders in Key Stage 2 through partnership with senior pupils from Kingsmead High School
- Pupils having ownership of the PE curriculum using pupil voice through the Sports Crew